Web Developer. Cartoonist. Dad of the Year.
I am a Front End Web Developer with the University of Washington School of Law. I've also worked as a one-person design and web services shop under the name Rookish Design, and before that I taught high school Latin for several years.
- Kompvtor | This fake "terminal" is really a demo of a custom caret (text cursor). It responds to some basic commands and combines a few geeky references with the geekiest of art forms: ASCII art.
- STIKHOI | A method for displaying classical verse (e.g., Homer, Sappho, Horace) in HTML with proper line numbers and indentation (where applicable). [Github]
- Peyote Internet Theatre | This is a Jeff Buckley tribute site I made before you were born. The Internet Archive saved the Geocities page as far as back as 1999, but I'm sure it existed in some form before Jeff died. I remember reaching out to a friend and photographer of Jeff's for permission to use some of the images I was already using (like every other tribute site), and the correspondence moved me to pull it all down out of respect. I wrote the In Memoriam and posted the the scans from the St. Ann's memorial program within days of the service so that content dates to August, 1997.
Around that time I also maintained an FAQ for the Afghan Whigs listserv, Congregation, but I have no idea what happened to that or where it lived. The internet of those days is like a lost civilization.
These were written in Node.js and served up on Heroku.
- @DistichaCatonis | The Distichs of Cato; Latin couplets on moral advice, tweeted randomly. [Github]
- @LotsByVergil | The Sortes Vergilianae, powered by the Aeneid API. Ask Vergil for your fortune (and then ask a Latinist what it means). [Github]
- DEV | Mostly articles about web development and coding culture. (Formerly on Medium.)
- The CAMPVS | A blog about Greek, Latin, & Classical Humanities.